[rt-users] Installing RT via Puppet

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Wed Sep 19 22:16:08 EDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 10:00 PM, Mister Guru wrote:
> On 20 September 2012 01:46, Thomas Sibley <trs at bestpractical.com> wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 04:59 PM, Mister Guru wrote:
>>> So far we have the basic packages required to install RT, now I'm going
>>> to begin working on configuration of the install. I'm open to
>>> suggestions and comments, good or bad :)
>>>
>>> The aim is to get this working on RPM and DEB platforms. Any feedback
>>> and input is welcome. In a few days, when some more progress has been made,
>>> I'll spread the word on the devel lists
>>
>> I think you'll find it easier to achieve cross-platform installation if
>> you abandon dist-specific packages of RT and install RT itself from
>> source (via puppet, of course).
>>
>> I'd also suggest starting with version 4 not 3.8; 3.8 is approaching end
>> of life. [1]
>>
>> [1] http://blog.bestpractical.com/2012/08/release-scheduling.html
>
> Darn!! Well, it still is good advice - My Puppet-Fu is about to be
> stretched! - I'll make a note on github, and start thinking about how
> best to accomplish this - as always, advice and comments are welcome.

As a sysadmin who has also been using puppet for a few years now, I
would prefer native packages over an installation from source. Doing a
source package install with puppet would probably require a custom
install script or a bunch of ugly exec resources. Doing it with native
packages would just require configuring the appropriate package repo,
like EPEL for RedHat (since that is what we use here I don't know what
the equivalent debian/ubuntu would be), then install the required
packages and configuration files. This is much cleaner from both a
sysadmin point of view and puppet, although you would have to account
for the different package repo locations, package names and possibly
config file locations for the different OSes. Also, EPEL is still
currently on 3.8, but hopefully they will upgrade soon.

~Jason