[rt-users] Multiple Instances or Another Queue

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Sun Sep 23 20:46:57 EDT 2012

On 22/09/12 03:10, Thomas Sibley wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 10:21 PM, Tom Robinson wrote:
>> 1. Use a new queue for the new department, isolating administration and users for that department to
>> that queue.
> A very reasonable option that works Right Now without much additional
> effort.  Consider if the new department is going to want lots of queues
> down the road, or custom visual branding, etc.  Anything you do in a
> single RT will affect all departments using it, so you need flexibility
> from your users.
>
> The question to answer to determine between 1 and 3 (2 is right out) is
> "How customized do you predict the new department is going to need their
> RT?" (i.e. why do they want a separate database).
I see that this could be a good option but less flexible.

>> 2. Run two instances by following http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/MultipleInstances (requires
>> hacking the code to make this work on 4.0.7).
> The hacks described in that wiki page lead to more complications than
> they are ever worth.
Yes, that made me quite hesitant.

>> 3. Run two installations side by side having compiled with different configuration options.
> This is the dead simple option, and completely reasonable.  Upgrades
> within the 4.0 stable series are intentionally small and designed to be
> safe.  When you do a larger upgrade to 4.2 down the road, you can
> upgrade one install and use what you learned to upgrade the other that
> much quicker.  If you keep local customizations clean, upgrades are
> pretty painless (esp. starting from 4.0.7).
>
> FWIW, Best Practical uses option #3.  The RT source code is tiny, and it
> gives us clean separation between public facing RT and internal RTs.
> The added overhead of administering more than one install is not much
> once you have processes set down for doing it to a single RT.
Great to have this kind of feedback. Many thanks. I'll give option #3 a try as it gives good
separation of the departments and will allow them to customise it more completely.

Thanks again,

Tom

--

Tom Robinson