[rt-users] Memory leaks with mod_fastcgi

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Aug 20 13:10:23 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 01:02:35PM -0400, Andrew Cobaugh wrote:
>    Is there no clean way around memory leaks in RT when using mod_fastcgi short of HUPing the
>    individual rt-server.fcgi processes when they reach a certain size?
>    Running 4.0.13 right now. With a load balancer in front hitting a simple html page located at
>    /rt/NoAuth/LoadBalancer.html every couple of seconds, we see memory usage increase ~100MB per
>    process with 5 rt-server processes over the course of about 12 hours.
>    Is there any simple way to track down why memory is increasing so much?

Is that 100M with no other rt services running but the request for
Loadbalancer.html or are you mixing testing requests in with
production RT requests?

rt-server.fcgi processes will grow as large as is needed to process
the current task, so if RT sends a huge email or processes a huge
attachment, I would expect individual processes to grow.

Your perl build can also affect the size of child processes.

You can try attaching something like
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/Devel-SizeMe-0.16/
to a single rt-server.fcgi child and seeing what changes between
requests.  Simple repeatable actions that cause consistent growth is
the easiest way to solve something like this.  I'm used to seeing 70M
stable fcgi processes.

-kevin