[rt-users] bug in HTML::FormatText::WithLinks::AndTables stops scrips working

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 2 12:56:27 EST 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 16:59 +0100, Payam Poursaied wrote:
> In the past weeks, we received considerable complaints from our staff
> that their comments and corresponds are not delivered to the
> requestors (i.e. on correspond notify requestors).
>[snip]
> Working more, I found that, when
> HTML::FormatText::WithLinks::AndTables could not parse the message and
> returned error, the scrips stop working
>
> In this special case, the problem could be generated very easy.
> Consider having 2 empty html tables which one of them enclosed in the
> other:
> [snip]

Excellent debugging.

> First, does anybody else faced with such problem? i.e.
> incorrect/incompatible html mail from a customer and/or staff which
> causes scrips fail to run scrips? I could not figure it out if this
> exists in 3.8. or not.

RT 4.2 is the first to attempt to automatically provide downgraded
text/plain alternatives to text/html mail; as such, this did not exist
in RT 3.8.

> Second, is that rational behavior for RT? I believe even if such
> module failed, at lease scrips should continue working. (maybe it
> should be submitted to rt-bugs)

Absolutely a bug; we should be at least sending the HTML part.  Please
try https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/8807f0d.patch

How are your staff generating the problematic HTML, out of curiosity?
Is the CKeditor generating that, or are you pasting in from Word or some
other source?
 - Alex