[rt-users] RES: RE: RES: Sphinx fulltext index v4.0.4

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Sat Dec 21 00:00:55 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 17:28 -0500, Alex Vandiver wrote:
> This lies firmly in the domain of having to debug MySQL and the SphinxSE
> plugin, and not in debugging RT itself.  From recent testing locally,
> using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost works acceptably.

I have confirmed that this is a bug in sphinxsearch.  mysql 5.5.15 and
above removed a codepath that SphinxSE was using to do name resolution,
and the re-implementation of it that SphinxSE uses could never have
worked.

The work-around is to use an IP address (rather than a hostname like
localhost) in the sphinx:// URL that rt-setup-fulltext-index prompts
for.  Alternately, the two attached patches can be applied to the
storage/sphinx/ directory.

The issue has been reported to sphinxsearch as bug 1815.  RT may work
around this issue in a future release by defaulting to suggesting
127.0.0.1 instead of localhost when running on MySQL 5.5.
 - Alex