[rt-users] Modify ticket 'body' after extracting custom fields?

Roy McMorran mcmorran at mdibl.org
Mon Feb 4 16:15:52 EST 2013

On 2/4/13 2:52 PM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:31:05AM -0500, Roy McMorran wrote:
>> I'm receiving incoming tickets from a web form.  Certain required
>> form fields (e.g. operating system, asset tag, etc.) are being
>> extracted into custom fields, and that's working well.
>>
>> I'd like to transform the ticket 'body' on creation (after the CFs
>> are extracted) so that it only contains the free-form text from the
>> 'Description' field that was provided by the form.  Can anyone
>> suggest how I might approach that?
> Do you want to transform the body for people who work the ticket to
> have a cleaner view or to control the mail that is sent out on ticket
> creation to the requestor?

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply.  Well, ideally... both.  I don't think
the requestor needs to see all the custom fields s/he just entered, but
I think that could be done by just tweaking the autoreply template,
yes?  But the main goal would be to transform the body that gets stuffed
into the ticket; i.e. yes, the view that the people working the ticket
will see.

E.g. Incoming email body:
-------
Name: Cuthbert Rumbold
Email: cr at example.org
Phone number or extension: 125
Request Category: Network Connectivity/Internet Access
Summary of request or problem: Internet down
Detailed description of request or problem: No internet access on floor 2
Computer Platform: Mac - 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Urgency: 2. Functionally impaired, need soon
Asset tag: OU812
-------

Becomes:
-------
No internet access on floor 2
-------

(and all the other lines are captured to CFs using Extract Custom Field
Values scrip)

Thank you,
Roy

--