[rt-users] Could someone help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

Aaron Guise aaron at guise.net.nz
Tue Feb 19 17:22:59 EST 2013

So what I think you need now is a smarthost to relay the mail back,
we use this method in our setup. This is simple by adding a line to the
postfix main.cf.

relayhost = {exchangeserver}.{domain.com}:25

Replacing {exchangeserver} and {domain.com} with their correct values.
Restart Postfix and give it another try :)
---

REGARDS,

AARON GUISE

aaron at guise.net.nz

On 2013-02-20 11:15, John Buell wrote:

> Changed
/etc/mailname and /etc/hostname and then….

> Yes, postfix seems to
be part of the problem - it was rejecting the messages relayed to
rt at rt.countrysampler.com but has quit doing that after I changed
main.cf. So this is progress! I've got tickets, I can send email to
create new tickets, but I'm not getting replies to go anywhere when
ownership of a ticket is changed or a ticket is marked resolved. Is
there a procedure of going through the Scrips that I missed somehow?

rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com] ON BEHALF OF Aaron
Guise
rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
> SUBJECT: Re: [rt-users] Could someone
help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

> ahhh, check
/etc/mailname

> I know postfix uses that to determine whether it
will accept mail for that domain. Exim is no doubt similar :)

> You
should change that file to read rt.countrysampler.com

> ---

REGARDS,

10:31, John Buell wrote:

>> Oddly enough, I'm not getting any
bounced messages, whether to the local root account, the account as
defined in rt (stcadmin at countrysampler.com) or to my account (this one)
when I enter/change tickets. However, using my local admin account
(buelljd) on the Ubuntu box and mailing rt at localhost worked just fine.

>> The system was using exim, I'm changing it to postfix.

finally got this from Outlook:

>> DELIVERY HAS FAILED TO THESE
RECIPIENTS OR GROUPS:

(rt at rt.countrysampler.com)
>> Your message wasn't delivered due to a
permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator,
the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another
restriction may be preventing delivery.

>> The following
organization rejected your message: csmaghpserver.

>> DIAGNOSTIC
INFORMATION FOR ADMINISTRATORS:

>> Generating server:
CSMAGEX1.us.ecc.ads

#554 5.7.1 <rt at rt.countrysampler.com>: Relay access denied ##

Original message headers:

boundary="_000_F29439DECCB52B42A0D6B9071C68A5B90FBA1F4FCSMAGEX1useccad_"

From: John Buell <jbuell at countrysampler.com>
<rt at rt.countrysampler.com>
>> Subject: Test

>> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
18:02:16 +0000

<F29439DECCB52B42A0D6B9071C68A5B90FBA1F4F at CSMAGEX1.us.ecc.ads>

x-originating-ip: [10.1.15.145]

>> So I changed
the entry in /etc/hosts from 'csmaghpserver' to 'rt'

rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
>> SUBJECT: Re: [rt-users] Could
someone help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

>> Hi John,
>>

>> What mail system have you got on the RT box? Myself I use postfix as
my preferred solution.

>> Also when sending an email to any of the
contacts you created do you get a bounce at all? That information would
be useful in solving this.

>> ---
>>
>> REGARDS,
>>
>> AARON
GUISE

Buell wrote:

>>> Thanks Aaron, this was a huge step forward for me!
I've got regular aliases for correspond and comment aliases for comments
on my RT box, a connector on Exchange, contacts on Exchange, but I'm
still not getting email. I'm not sure what to look at, but if anyone has
time to look at a few screenshots, I posted a new gallery on a personal
site of mine:

http://photos.buellnet.net/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=3660908 [1]

>>> If, on the other hand, you need more information about my
network setup (since rt.countrysampler.com is only available within our
firewall), please let me know that too. So far I'm really liking this
product and our managers seem pleased with it too.

rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
>>> SUBJECT: Re: [rt-users] Could
someone help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

>>> I have put
some further detail on the Request Tracker wiki @
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/Relaying_mail_from_Microsoft_Exchange_2007_to_RT
[2]

>>> ---
>>>
>>> REGARDS,
>>>
>>> AARON GUISE

AARON at GUISE.NET.NZ

an old HP server box with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. Rather than running
the rt in the Ubuntu software repository though, I went ahead and
downloaded 4.0.10 myself and installed it and all of the perl modules.
I'm only intending the web server portion to be available within our
local network (so I haven't enabled SSL), though I did go ahead and make
a dns entry for rt.countrysampler.com so that it resolves to the correct
internal IP address.

configuration went ok (I've used MySQL before as the backend for another
vendor's ticket system), I just can't for the life of me figure out how
to get RT to talk to our Exchange 2010 server. I've got the root user
enabled (for the moment), myself set up within RT as a privileged user,
and all of my employees (38) entered. I have 14 departments set up, so
that I can track who has the most problems. I've added eight ticket
queues (hardware, software, phones, etc) and have been setting up the
appropriate permissions so that people can sign in and create tickets.
As the lone privileged user, I'm the only one that can close/modify the
tickets once entered. So far so good.

2010 server running on a virtual machine (Hyper-V) that would be able to
listen for and respond to email. I've gone through some documentation
I've found online, but most everything seems to be for older versions of
Exchange. I've created a dedicated user account to be the
sender/reply-to for all messages generated through RT
(stcadmin at countrysampler.com), but where on Earth do I set it up so that
RT and Exchange are talking?

must have been asked a million times before, and for that I apologize,
but if I could find a couple quick config files or something, I wouldn't
harass you folks. :)

Buell

LLC

Links: