[rt-users] Could someone help a newb evaluating RT with email setup?

Chris Herrmann chrisherrmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:00:59 EST 2013

We use Exchange 2007 <-> RT, setup should be the same in 2010.

- We're using exim because it can be configured to accept emails on a
per queue basis. Exim config looks like:

=============
router/310_rt
-----------------------
request_tracker3:
  debug_print = "R: request_tracker3 for \
                    $local_part$local_part_suffix@$domain \
                    (calling ${substr_1:${if eq{$local_part_suffix}{}\
                                       {-correspond}\
                                       {$local_part_suffix}}})"
  driver = redirect
  domains = +rt3_domains
  local_parts = mysql; QUEUENAME_QUERY
  local_part_suffix = -comment
  local_part_suffix_optional
  pipe_transport = request_tracker3_pipe
  data = "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate \
           --queue \"${lookup mysql{QUEUENAME_QUERY}}\" \
           --action ${substr_1:${if eq{$local_part_suffix}{}\
                                        {-correspond}\
                                        {$local_part_suffix}}} \
           --url RT3_URL"
  user = www-data

==========
transport/30-rt:
-----------------
request_tracker3_pipe:
  debug_print = "T: request_tracker3_pipe for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = pipe
  return_fail_output
  allow_commands = /usr/bin/rt-mailgate

=========
main/10_rt
----------------
QUEUENAME_QUERY   = \
                SELECT Name FROM Queues WHERE \
                CorrespondAddress =
'${quote_mysql:$local_part}@${quote_mysql:$domain}' \
                AND Disabled = '0'

hide mysql_servers = {mysqlserver}/{rtdb}/{rtuser}/{rtpass}

domainlist rt3_domains = myrtserver.mydomain.com: mydomain.com :
helpdesk.mydomain.com : otherdomainhandledbyrt.com

RT3_URL = https://myrt.mydomain.com/
-----------------

(we're using RT3.8 series still, hopefully someone can fill in if this
setup still works in RT4)

- In Exchange you configure a contact as
"myrtqueue at myrthost.mydomain.com". So if someone then emails
"myrtqueue at mydomain.com" it will be correctly forwarded to the RT
host. Exim will then pick it up, and inject it into the correct queue
via rt-mailgate.
- You should configure the default email address in Exchange to be
"myrtqueue at mydomain.com" and not "myrtqueue at myrthost.mydomain.com"
- You obviously need to create the queue in RT, and configure the
email addresses for the queue to match those specified in Exchange
- You need to allow inbound SMTP to your RT host from Exchange and
allow RT to use Exchange as a smarthost out

Let me know how you go,

Regards,

Chris