[rt-users] Ready to roll?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Feb 28 11:31:15 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:41:13PM -0800, Thomas Sibley wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 09:14 AM, John Buell wrote:
> > Hm, thanks for pointing that out Kevin. I had been using: Mysqldump
> > --opt --add-drop-table --single-transaction -u rt_user -pPassword -h
> > localhost rt4 > rt4-mysql-backup-`date %Y%m%d`
> >
> > I see the sense in doing the backup on the page that you linked to,
> > but when I do it that way, I'm getting 'error 1044: Access denied for
> > user 'rt_user'@'localhost' to database 'rt4' when doing LOCK TABLES.
> >
> > So is there something else I'm missing, or might someone have just
> > been active in a session?
>
> The database user RT creates (rt_user by default) isn't granted the
> ability to issue LOCK TABLE commands.  Backups should be made by a full
> privileged database user, such as "root" by default on MySQL.  If you
> must use the database user which RT uses, you will need to grant it more
> rights.

As Tom notes, we usually run backups as a more privileged user, but if
you want to run as the rt_user because that password is already store
on disk somewhere, you can insert --single-transaction or
--skip-lock-tables in the first part of that command - the
mysqldump rt4 --tables sessions --no-data;
because even though you're only asking for a schema, MySQL locks.

I filed http://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=22893
so someone will look at that doc and update.

-kevin