[rt-users] UseSQLForACLChecks / CurrentUserCanSee

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Thu Jan 24 16:08:30 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM, ktm at rice.edu <ktm at rice.edu> wrote:
> Dear RT community,
>
> I have been testing the option UseSQLForACLChecks which is based on the
> function CurrentUserCanSee and the initial testing is disappointing. Here
> are 3 representative front page loads with and without SQL-checks enabled:
>
> with-SQL: 16s, 13.8s, 14.5s --- 14.7s average
> no-SQL: 2.3s, 0.99s, 0.97s --- 1.42s average
>
> That is a 10x slowdown and it does not get any better with reloads. In
> some of the messages on the mailing list, it is mentioned that the performance
> is "not bad" for some setups. Is there a reference setup that is defined that
> produces these "not bad" timings? Alternatively, does anyone have a setup
> that is working well or that has an appropriate cache layer setup?

Hello Ken,

You probably read description of the option, right? I always suspected
that there
will be instances for which performance degrades dramatically because
of the option. So far we had one case when option works good for core
RT and behaves badly in a proprietary extension. For most of our
customers it works great.

A few changes have been made since the option was introduced to fix
ACL problems and performance issues, so as always you should mention
RT version.

We would love to see more details on your case. The option will be
turned on by default in RT 4.2.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.