[rt-users] API key support for RT REST API

Darren Spruell phatbuckett at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 02:53:35 EDT 2013

Hi,

Haven't found anything in searching for references, but I was wondering if
RT currently has support for user authentication in the REST API using API
keys/tokens. If not, is this something that has been discussed for future
support?

We maintain an RT setup where we authenticate via a corporate LDAP (via
ExternalAuth) and users authenticate to RT using their corp credentials.
We'd like to do some utility scripting against the API and would be far
more comfortable using a key/token that is useful only for the purposes of
interfacing with RT. This would prevent unintentional unsafe handling of
some users' credentials that might want to hardcode them in scripts/tools.
Also an API key can somewhat simplify the process of interacting over
sessions of multiple requests, replacing auth exchange and cookie stashing
with a more stateless mechanism.

--
Darren Spruell
phatbuckett at gmail.com