[rt-users] SOS:: many mysql processes are killing RAM, why?

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Jul 19 13:38:16 EDT 2013

On 07/19/2013 08:42 AM, Alex Decalli wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have RT 3.8 on mysql 5.1 on ubuntu 11.04. Why do I have many mysql
> processes they are bringing down RAM.
> check it out
>
> http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w556/samanka80/other/sql-mem_zps4c623183.jpg
>
> innodb_buffer_pool = 3G, 12G ram,  autologoff disable, waiting time for
> mysql disable. The time it is happening, like 10 users are in mysql
> (used command show processlist)

It's impossible to diagnose this with the info provided.  If you want
the list to help, you'll need to specify:

* What 3.8 version
* Your full mysql config
* The output of mysqltuner.pl
(http://download.bestpractical.com/mirror/mysqltuner.pl)
* Other processes on the system

Note that MySQL is a threaded server, which means all those "processes"
you see in top are actually threads.  That's why they have exactly the
same memory footprint.  The memory is shared memory.  Try toggling
display of threads off in top with "H".

I expect your RAM issue is not MySQL, but something else.  Often people
leave Apache unconfigured.