[rt-users] Using RTIR - How to send notices to clients who do not respond to Investigations

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Jul 31 21:37:18 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 05:43:54PM -0700, Landon wrote:
>    I'd post this to the RTIR mailing list but it's extremely low volume and I've never had a
>    reply from there before.

I just checked - I've replied to a number of your emails on the rtir
mailing list, and you've replied to me there.  You've actually replied
to *fewer* of my replies on rt-users.

However, this is in no way an RTIR specific question.

>    In a nutshell I've been trying to figure this out but I can't figure out how to get
>    Correspond() to *not* update the LastUpdated field on a ticket. The only real example of this
>    function I can find is in RecordCorrespondence.pm which I am actually using. I've actually
>    copied it to a new .pm and added SquelchMailTo() line to it so messages aren't CC'd to root
>    when using rt-crontool.
>    I've had absolutely no luck trying to figure out how to use Action/SendEmail.pm but I want the
>    correspondence to be in the ticket anyway and preferably use templates too so that's no big
>    deal.
>    What I'm afraid of is that I'm using the wrong method to skin this cat. Is there a better way
>    to look at this or contribution already available for notifying Correspondents that they
>    haven't updated a ticket? I'd like to send two or three warnings before the ticket is flagged
>    for us to consider suspension of the client for not responding.
>    Thanks for reading!

I've generally just used RT::Action::Notify and --action-arg AdminCc to
notify the AdminCcs (or other arguments as needed).  For Notify, you
must use --transaction first or --transaction last and keep in mind
that Notify.pm obeys the NotifyActor note. RecordCorrespondence might
work fine, I've just never used it.  Using SendEmail directly is
almost never what you want.

Keep in mind however that any code that records a transaction on a
ticket (so RecordCorrespondence, which records a transaction by
calling the Correspond method) is going to update LastUpdated on the
ticket.  You're updating the ticket, so LastUpdated moves.

Sending mail without that is likely to be *very* difficult.  You
likely actually want a Condition module that checks for a status
change or checks for the first notification to do your calculations,
or to record something in a custom field for easier querying.

-kevin