[rt-users] Auto creating user email addresses from CAS authenticated RT SelfService

Duncan Napier dgnapier at sfu.ca
Mon Jun 10 18:19:27 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am currently migrating from RT 3.4.5-2 (2006) on Fedora Core 4 to RT 4.0.8 on Centos 6.2. The reasons are many, including aging platform, move to virtualization etc.

The new RT, like the old one, does external authentication through CAS (Central Authentication Service). Basically users always initiate a support request through the RT SelfServe website by authenticating with single sign-on credentails (username, password).

The system generates a new user the first time the user logs in populates the "Identity" Username and "Unix login" Username from their login credentials. On the old system, loggin in for the first time also autogenerates an email by concatenating the "Identity" with the email domain suffix ("@mydomain.com").

So for example, person with ID newuser, logs in for the first time, and their Email field is populated with "newuser at mydomain.com", and nothing needs to be done from my end.

For some reason, it does not do this on the new system. I seem to recall some 7 years ago adding a hack to set this autocreation of the email field using the username. I have searched but can't find anything and searched through the code to see where/how it was implemented, but I am at a loss.

Does anyone know how this is done in RT 4.x? Other than putting it in manually, I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Thanks in advance.