[rt-users] Configure Options for Custom Directories

Tim Wiley tim at marchex.com
Mon Mar 18 15:55:54 EDT 2013

On 03/18/2013 07:48 AM, Tim Wiley wrote:
> On 03/18/2013 06:06 AM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:31:53AM -0700, Tim Wiley wrote:
>>> I'm wanting to change the directory layout of our RT installation
>>> just a bit to put it more in line with the standards of our
>>> packaging & deploy system.  The configure script clearly states that
>>> this is possible with a set of options.
>>>
>>> However, I'm finding that of the 3 options I want to use (prefix,
>>> sysconfdir & localstatedir), only prefix is being honored.  I've
>>> attached (for readability) a log of my configure command & then a
>>> grep for one of my option values.  Clearly, the configure script is
>>> ignoring my other 2 options as they show up nowhere in the grep
>>> output except for where the configure command is stored.
>>
>> I can totally believe that autoconf and our usage is interacting
>> poorly.  I bet you'll have *much* more luck defining a custom layout
>> than bending autoconf.  This is how the debian packages (for example)
>> work.
>>
>> Open up config.layout, copy one of the sections, give it a different
>> name and then run configure with --enable-layout=mylayout
>> You may need to run configure.ac and/or clean out autom4te.cache to
>> ensure that autoconf sees your changes.  This should give you a lot
>> more flexibility.
>>
>> -kevin
>
> Thank you, Kevin.  I'll do that & report back this morning.

This worked beautifully.  In fact, I removed all of the other layouts &
adjusted the "relative" layout.  I figured if I was manually adjusting
config.layout, I may as well make it so I don't even have to specify a
prefix. One thing to note is that I had to add ${prefix}/ to any
relative directories or I'd get an error from /user/bin/install for
those directories because it was trying to install to the build
directory instead of the prefix I had specified.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the help.