[rt-users] Debian package status

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 24 12:41:28 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:21:36PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 09:16 PM, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > As for multiple concurrent versions, this isn't something the
> > Debian packages are suited to.
> Agreed; it can work, but it's a pain. You can see this in the PostgreSQL
> packages for example - they handle concurrent versions reasonably well
> via the alternatives system and versioned config and data directories,
> but it does cause some confusion for users and admins. In the case of
> PostgreSQL it's absolutely necessary to enable low-pain upgrades so it's
> worth the price in complexity, but this probably isn't true for RT.

Yes, between major releases, but that doesn't let run any arbitrary
combinations of versions. We're doing much the same in Debian,
(request-tracker3.6, request-tracker3.8, request-tracker4) which I
should have mentioned, although I think we're hoping that the 4.x
series will be maintained all in one package namespace to make things
easier for users.

Cheers,
Dominic.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Section
IT Services, University of Oxford