[rt-users] MSMTP works for sending, but receiving is now broken - And why a full MTA?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue May 28 16:06:48 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:13:29PM -0400, Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) wrote:
>    First, I did manage to get MSMTP working to send email out. While outgoing mail worked,
>    incoming via fetchmail suddenly stopped complaining it couldn't bind to 127.0.0.1 port 25:
>
>    name 0: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed: Connection refused.

You turned off postfix, which listened on localhost:smtp.
If you want to inject into a local MTA from fetchmail, then you need
to have a local MTA.  If you don't want a local MTA then you need to
configure fetchmail to run rt-mailgate directly or via a delivery
agent such as procmail.

>    We're looking to deploy a second RT instance for our Service Department (our IT Dept system
>    might get rebuilt as I have yet to get an answer from the distro list as to why my file
>    attachments can now no longer be over 1MB after a database mangling).

Are you referring to this question, which was answered last week?
http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2013-May/080290.html

>    This ticket desk needs to communicate to clients our on the
>    Internet. The thinking was to just have a simple SMTP agent to send
>    the mail out & have fetchmail poll the server for incoming versus
>    running a full-on mail server.

Postfix is fantastic for this.  It runs trivially in a relay-only-mode
and is much more widely tested and supported than something like
msmtp.

>    We run an Exchange server that relays out to a Postfix server, then to the Internet.
>
>    Why is it Postfix is needed? Why can't I have lighter weight agents do the work instead? The
>    problem I had with Postfix is for some reason on my new RT system the moment I add the
>    smtpd_recipient_restrictions and put anything down there to restrict, Postfix stops working
>    completely. I want to control what email addresses leave the system.

So, there was a postfix configuration problem and you've now spent how
many hours trying to set up msmtp instead?

-kevin