[rt-users] RT behavior when CCs are present in a ticket

Guadagnino Cristiano guadagnino.cristiano at creval.it
Thu May 30 08:04:39 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I have received a few complaints from users about a feature of RT.
After a little experimenting, I find that those complaints are partially
reasonable, so I want to share them with you and get some feedback.

When RT receives an email that is bound to an already existing ticket,
it notifies everyone in that ticket (requestor, CCs...). So far
everything is good.

Now picture this situation: Bill wants to send an email to Tom, CCing
John and Jenny and RT (because he wants this conversation to remain
recorded in the ticket's history). The mail is linked to an already
existing ticket (i.e. the subject contains the magical tag). Bill is not
the ticket's original requestor.

Here comes the "problem": Tom, John and Jenny will receive one email
from Bill and another identical mail from RT. Even Bill will receive his
email back from RT. Even worse, all this emails will look like it was
the ticket owner who sent them.

I think RT is being overzealous here: since RT already parses the email
header looking for CCs, it should know that those messages are not
useful, since those persons are already receiving the original email. So
it should only notify people who are CCs for the ticket but are NOT
included in the email sent from Bill.

What do you think?

Bye
Cris

p.s. This is happening on our production RT, which is still at 3.8.10. I
don't know if RT 4 changed something in this respect.