[rt-users] Fail over & Cie How you do it

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Nov 13 14:30:14 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 02:59:05PM +0100, Albert Shih wrote:
> of mai-server because we don't loose any mail. If the smtp server is down, all
> MTA known to keep mails in the queue.
>
> If RT is down, all request go to a blackhole. Until now what I'm doing is
> to change the aliases tables before update
>
>     request --> RT

>     request --> somebody@
>
> and when RT come back, I push the ticket manually. But that's is possible
> because I don't have so much ticket.

A properly configured mail delivery to RT will hold mail in the mail
queue until RT is back up.  If you're losing mail when apache is down,
you've done something very very wrong.  rt-mailgate will always return
either Success or Temporary Failure.

If we're worried about a particularly long maintenance window, we'll
use postfix's hold queue to stick mail aside and not have postfix
retry submissions.  In general though, upgrades from 4.0.17 to 4.0.18
are simple make upgrade, make upgrade-datbase, clear mason cache and
restart apache operations for us.

If we're concerned about larger upgrades, we make a clone VM and test
there.

-kevin