[rt-users] unordered mismash of upgrade instructions

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 15 15:09:31 EST 2014

On 12/14/2014 08:19 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Alex Vandiver <alexmv at bestpractical.com>
> wrote:
>> Step (2) and (6b) of this address the other files.
>
> These are the sections of which my complaint is generated. Yes, they
> list the entire stack of docs which should be read. That’s how I
> knew the list I posted. But there is no ordering information included
> here.

We've not previously had explicit documentation on it because there's no
strict ordering -- so we didn't specify it.  I've pushed b49f950b to
4.0-trunk which gives a more explicit ordering.  Would that have
sufficed to answer your question?

> Yes the revised page is more clear. It’s still not the easiest to
> track instruction. You could easily demonstrate this with screenshots
> in a way that someone could follow.

What screenshots would you find useful?

> Furthermore, this phrasing is very confusing and implies that nothing
> else in the documentation applies.
>
>> • You are upgrading RT from a version prior to 3.8.0, on any
>> version of MySQL
>>
>> • You are migrating from MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1 or above
>>
>> If neither of the above cases apply, your should upgrade as per the
>> instructions in the README.
>
> So if I am upgrading MySQL 5.1 with RT 3.8.5 I shouldn’t read any
> farther, right?  I don’t think that’s what you intended to say.

If you're upgrading MySQL 5.1 with RT 3.8.5, you should just follow the
upgrading instructions in the README; UPGRADING.mysql does indeed not
apply.  So yes, you have interpreted as we intended.  If you have
suggested clarifications, I'd be glad to hear them.
 - Alex