[rt-users] docs improvement suggestion for full-text searching

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 15 15:26:20 EST 2014

On 12/14/2014 08:25 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> RT's use of sphinx requires the daemon to answer, which you didn’t
> start. With your example file when I start the daemon I get this
> error:
>
> # service searchd start Starting searchd: Sphinx 2.0.8-id64-release
> (r3831) Copyright (c) 2001-2012, Andrew Aksyonoff Copyright (c)
> 2008-2012, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)
>
> using config file '/etc/sphinx/sphinx.conf'... WARNING:
> compat_sphinxql_magics=1 is deprecated; please update your
> application and config

As the output notes, that is merely a warning.  It is not an error.
searchd starts up just fine for me:

# service searchd start
Starting searchd: Sphinx 2.0.8-id64-release (r3831)
Copyright (c) 2001-2012, Andrew Aksyonoff
Copyright (c) 2008-2012, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file '/etc/sphinx/sphinx.conf'...
WARNING: compat_sphinxql_magics=1 is deprecated; please update your
application and config
listening on all interfaces, port=3312
precaching index 'rt'
precached 1 indexes in 0.001 sec
                                                           [  OK  ]
# service searchd status
searchd (pid 15041) is running...

> Note that your file doesn’t contain magics=1. So I totally agree that
> it’s an annoying bug that the developers should fix, but it’s also
> something you can avoid by putting it in the file you output.

Since it starts up fine without the line, and would fail to start on
Sphinx < 2 or > 2.2 with the line, I'm unconvinced on adding it to the
default configuration.  Administrators who are running Sphinx 2.0.x can
simply heed the warning and add compat_sphinxql_magics=0 to their
configuration.

 - Alex