[rt-users] ShowCustomFields extremely slow.

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Tue Feb 4 06:15:49 EST 2014

Alex Vandiver wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 10:57 +0100, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>

>> My frontends are on completely different networks (and indeed different
>> data centers) from the database servers for security (mainly DDoS type)
>> reasons
>>
>> [snip discussion of optimization of column_info()]
>>

> RT simply isn't designed to operate in an environment where every query
> has tens to hundreds of ms of latency.  Attempts to optimize this
> particular set of queries will merely cause the limiting factor to
> become some other set.  While we're absolutely interested in patches
> that help decrease the number of queries that RT runs (as you've noted,
> there are several queries run multiple times), I expect you will find
> this to be a frustrating game of whack-a-mole.  If at all possible,
> altering your network topology to remove the latency is most probably a
> more straightforward way to have a performant RT instance.

A thought (and a non too simple one I'll admit) .. how about developing
a 'light-weight' RT front end talking to a heavy backend.. (might be a
good reason to develop out the the REST interface ;) )

In the mean time I'm going to have to re-think the network design and
hope that my employer doesn't just go 'we'll use a different interface'
and force me onto CTS as I'm trying to get it deployed company wide and
up-root the Salesforce and CTS Ticketing systems that are being
currently used (which needless to say would result in a sizeable
support/devel contract coming BPs way... If you want to know more about
that message me privately/directly.)

Michelle

--
Michelle Sullivan