[rt-users] Fedora 20 / Perl 5.18

Jeremy Mates jmates at uw.edu
Tue Feb 18 15:58:50 EST 2014

* CLOSE Dave <Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com>
> But I wrote, "After upgrading my RT server (4.2.1) from Fedora 19 / Perl
> 5.16 to Fedora 20 / Perl 5.18...". In the Fedora world, an upgrade is a
> specific YUM operation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Either the upgrade left 5.16 bits behind (packages buggy somehow), or a
manual install was improperly made to the vendor space and has left 5.16
bits behind (rpm would be ignorant of these). The 5.16 bits will need to be
located and removed, probably by looking for *.so, *.bs, *.xs or similar
binary files under the various @INC dirs. /bin/perl is very strange; typical
is /usr/bin/perl; I'd probably KickStart and reinstall a host in such a
state back to a clean slate.

I otherwise avoid this sort of problem by not mixing manual installs with
the system perl and vendor space; either RT and *everything* is built as a
full RPM, or RT goes into /some/not/vendor/dir along with a
/some/not/vendor/dir perl (and then FastCGI or the like to avoid the mess
that is mod_perl).