[rt-users] RT Database pruning before moving to new server

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jun 5 12:27:51 EDT 2014

> I'm interested to hear from everyone too, as one of these days I hope to drop out some unnecessary attachments from the database.
> One thing that I found in our environment is that the sessions table was absolutely huge and accounted for more than 80% of our database size.

Standard response:
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/rt-shredder.html

> You can use the sbin/rt-clean-sessions script to help prune that if you find that your sessions table is also very large.

This should be a daily cron job on every production RT server,
otherwise your session table just grows without bounds.

> Our current RT3 database is over 18 gigs and I was told that our
> admins have never pruned or purged any of the old data. Are there
> any utilities or scripts in RT that I can use to purge old data
> cleanly or is all of that done directly through the database, ie
> mysql in my case?

Look at the shredder docs above.

Make sure you apply the documented indexes.  You may find that
shredder performs better on 4.2 than on 3.8, test.

-kevin