[rt-users] Full text search/index - Migrate to Postgres or MySQL + Sphinx?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 13 10:32:21 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 02:06:40PM +0000, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On 13/03/2014 14:00, Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) wrote:
> > We currently run two RT 4.0.19 systems on Ubuntu 12.04LTS and MySQL
> > 5.5.35. Management is now asking me to enable full text searching on the
> > sites so we can search inside the body of the tickets. From what I've
> > read, our current configuration won't support it due to MySQL 5.5.x not
> > supporting it natively.
>
> MySQL has supported fulltext indexes since version 5.0. What makes you
> think otherwise?

It supported InnoDB Full Text indexing in 5.0?

As was posted quite recently, here's a decent recap of the technical
hurdles in using native 5.6 InnoDB indexing as it finally reaches
maturity.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/114057#114057

We've come up with some possible workarounds for this, but I'm not
sure when we'll have engineering resources to pursue them.

Stephen - if you'd like to remain on a packaged "mysql" platform,
several people have reported success using mariadb which ships with a
sphinx plugin (there's some small shenanigans because packaged sphinx ships
with bigids requiring bigint ids in RT, but that's documented in the
list archives).

I also know that users have built 12.04 mysql/sphinx debs (we're still
running on an older LTS version of Ubuntu).

-kevin