[rt-users] How to move an existing database to a new server

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 3 17:00:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 03:22:13AM -0700, Vas wrote:
> thank you for your input.
> I tried what you suggested and it gave me the following error:
> <http://requesttracker.8502.n7.nabble.com/file/n58916/rtupgrade.png>
> I would be grateful for some advice on what the problem may be.

I assume you've created an initialized 4.0 database, restored your
3.8 database into it and then run the upgrade steps, which attempts
to create the Classes table. This table already existed in your
initialized 4.0 database.

A few points.

4.0.4 is from November 2011.  If you're going to upgrade, I suggest RT
4.2.9 or at least a later RT 4.0 release.

Assuming this is a dev server, I would drop your database
/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --action drop

and then follow the database restoration procedures we document here
for a new server

http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/backups.html#Restoring-from-backups

which create an empty database before restoring your backup into it.

But again, ask yourself why you're upgrading to a 3 year old release
of the software, one with published security flaws.

-kevin