[rt-users] RT not sending outgoing emails

livy at fhsu.edu livy at fhsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:48:12 EST 2014

Hello All,

I'm having a weird problem where RT can't send out going emails.  I'm using Postfix and running sendmail command from the shell works fine, just whenever a new ticket gets created or a comment was added, RT is not able to send outgoing emails.

On the web interface, it says:
The RT System itself - Sending the previous mail has failed. Please contact your admin, they can find more details in the logs.

In syslogs, the following error is thrown:
Nov  7 09:04:30 *** postfix/sendmail[30696]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: postdrop

At first I thought a misconfigured postfix is causing the problem, but again I can run sendmail command from the shell and it sends out email with no problem.

I do have the postdrop group in  my /etc/group file.

What's weird is there is no "setgid_group" in file /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Below is output of postconf -n:

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = ipv4
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = [domain], [domain], localhost
myhostname = [domain]
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
myorigin = /etc/mailname
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost = [some ip]
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP I.T., have you tried turning it off and on again?
smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net, reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions = reject_invalid_helo_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination, reject_unauth_pipelining, permit_auth_destination, permit_mynetworks
smtpd_timeout = 30s
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls = yes

I'm running RT 4.2.8 on a Debian Wheezy box with MySQL server.   Anyone has any insight to my problem?   Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Livy