[rt-users] Issue when deleting Assets and recreating with roles

fleon fleon at seguroscatatumbo.com
Thu Oct 16 15:39:45 EDT 2014

Sorry, i will try to explain myself further. English is not my primary
language.

We user a number to identify our assets (with some exceptions that gives me
trouble). To better classify our assets, we use the format
device-location-id, so i am able to search only printers for example,
without needing a custom field (which in reality i also am using).

So i search for "imp-mar" which gives me all printers in our MAR branch.
That gives me imp-mar-18273, imp-mar-37293...
Suppose i want to update the custom field that holds the printer's location.
Since the import won't magically associate MAR with "Oficina Principal", i
search for all imp-mar assets and then just update the custom field with a
bulk update.

The issue i experienced is the following:

Step 1: search for "imp-mar"
Step 2: press "bulk update"
Step 3: change the custom field

Result: all assets with imp-mar in its name gets renamed to imp-mar, losing
the number, unless i remember to delete the "name" field with the search i
just did.
Changing the status of the asset to "deleted" just hides the assets, but
doesn't delete them from the database! Therefore i went to the manual
route...

If you want me to file a bug i will happily do so.

I don't have a production server, i just have my development server and
hoping to promote to production once i finish some issues. That means i
haven't made a recurring backup just yet. But the three tables you mentioned
actually were the one i needed, so i did the following.

-Installed phpmyadmin
-Created a new table with one column, and imported a csv with just that one
column, containing the id's of the assets i wanted to prune off the
database.
-delete from Groups where domain like '%Asset%' and instance in (select
activo from activo);
-delete from ObjectCustomFieldValues where ObjectType like '%Asset%' and
ObjectId in (select activo from activo);
-delete from Transactions where ObjectType like '%Asset%' and ObjectId in
(select activo from activo);

Thanks!!