[rt-users] setting a password for a user

Boris Epstein borepstein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:56:42 EST 2015

Alex,

I finally resolved the issue by setting up the password for use root using
this command:

perl -I/opt/rt4/local/lib -I/opt/rt4/lib \
    -MRT -MRT::User \
    -e'RT::LoadConfig();RT::Init(); my $u = RT::User->new($RT::SystemUser);
$u->Load("root"); $u->SetPassword("secret")'

borrowed from here: http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/RecoverRootPassword

and then logging in as root. As soon as I did I saw the tabs for password
entry and was able to set a password for the user in question.

I guess the question still remains, what is the rational behind me being
unable to do so just as a user with admin privileges.

Thanks.

Boris.