[rt-users] RT saves data in quoted-printable, why???

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 5 18:37:21 EST 2015

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 00:06:32 +0100 Václav Ovsík <vaclav.ovsik at i.cz>
wrote:
> https://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=29735

Aha -- thanks for digging that out!  I thought I vaguely recalled
something in this area previously.
https://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Attachment/286095/157750/utf8-encoding.patch
looks to be functionally fairly similar to the branch.

There are a few other, orthogonal fixes in there that may still be
interesting to tease out into their own commits.  It looks like I see
changes to:

 * Fix the computed max size of base64'd attachments; I'd need to
squint at it harder, but seems eminently reasonable.

 * Attempt to gracefully deal with TruncateLongAttachments truncating
mid-byte of UTF-8 data.  As above; the decode/encode is an interesting
trick to attempt to ensure that the byte stream is consistent.  I'd
like to test it a bit, but seems not unreasonable.

 * Choose base64 vs QP based on which is shorter; I'm less convinced by
this, since it means that for large data, it gets QP'd, base64'd, and
then one of those _again_ -- which isn't terribly efficient.  I'm less
convinced by the tradeoff of computation time to stored in-database
size.

If you're interested in reworking the patch into a 2-3 commit series,
I'm happy to apply for 4.2-trunk.
 - Alex