[rt-users] What's huge RT/Mysql

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Wed Nov 11 04:53:54 EST 2015

On Wednesday 04 of November 2015, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to know without any customisation how can a RT instance with
> mysql backend can goes.

Almost 2 000 000 tickets here (total), mysql DB is about 120GB, two rotational
SATA disks in raid1 array.

> As I understand it's the number of tickets who can be a issue.

For normal usage it works fast. The number of tickets is only a problem for
searching. Here we still use sphinx and searching is quite slow.

The other problem is that any action like searching blocks rt user session
totally. So single user can't, for example, view other tickets in second
browser tab while his search is in progress. That's major pain if you do a lot
of searching.

Going to try mysql builtin fulltext next (that won't fix session problem but
has potential to be faster).

Also for big mysql DB you need to plan backup well.

> And same question with specific hardware (like mysql on SSD).

IMO SSD is not required. Obviously will be much faster than rotational disks
but our instance works well without ssd disks.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / ( maven.pl | pld-linux.org )