[rt-users] Help! I enabled Full Text search and now Simple search won't look at Subjects !!

Alex Vandiver alex at chmrr.net
Fri Oct 9 02:09:20 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 04:23:02PM -0500, ktm at rice.edu wrote:
> It looks like you should be able to change the following function in
> lib/RT/Search/Simple.pm: [snip]

RT 4.2.10 made the change to only search the Content field, and not
also the Subject field, intentionally; see the commit the did so [1]
for the full rationale.

In short, it is impossible to have a performant full-text search if
you search both Subject and Content.  In most RT installs, the
auto-reply from the ticket creation includes the subject of the
ticket, which means it is indexed along with the ticket, so removing
the Subject clause still results in finding the appropriate ticket.

You're welcome to revert the change locally -- though I would suggest
doing so via an overlay and not by editing the file directly, or your
change will be lost when you next upgrade.  If you do make the change,
I expect you'll find the simple search to be noticeably (and perhaps
unusably) slower.
 - Alex

[1] https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/8450f0a9f233d6a761ac22dbdf14926abc54d7fa