[rt-users] Sending E-Mail From Within Custom Scrips

Tim Gustafson tjg at ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:17:14 EST 2016

Our university has an "official" ticketing system, and one of our
support groups wants to use RT instead.

To make this happen, we're configuring the "official" ticketing system
to send e-mail to an RT queue.  We've written a custom "on create"
scrip in that queue that modifies the ticket when it comes in to set
the "Requester" correctly (e-mail from the other system comes from a
fixed address, not from the client's address; we parse the contents of
the e-mail to ascertain the client's e-mail address directly).  We'd
like our custom scrip to also send an e-mail to the other system to
close that ticket.

What's the canonical way to send e-mail from RT to an external address
without adding correspondence to the RT ticket itself?  I found some
documentation about how to add a transaction to the ticket from within
the scrip, which generates an e-mail, but that's not really what I
want to do here.  I'd rather send a basic plain-text e-mail from
within the scrip.

Is that possible?

--

Tim Gustafson