[rt-users] How RT know it's new or not ticket

Jeffrey Pilant jeffrey.pilant at bayer.com
Wed Jun 22 16:18:58 EDT 2016

Albert Shih wrote:
>Le 22/06/2016 à 16:21:25+0000, Jeffrey Pilant a écrit
>> Albert Shih writes:
<snip>
>> The design of RT will route email with a subject containing the ticket
>> number to the queue where the ticket is.  If that is in a queue the
>> email sender is not allowed, then you get permission denied messages.
>> This routing overrides the named queue routing based on the email
>> address.
>
>Ok. I understand. Just to be sure, can you confirm RT do not use the

>inside the header to routing the mail.

I don't use RT, and it is lightly used here.  I am just the guy that has to keep it working.  :-)

>From what I have read on the lists, and the docs, the subject line rules.  That header line is more for MTA agent manipulation.  You might be able to have the MTA detect a ticket number in the subject without a corresponding X-RT-Ticket entry, and when found, mung the subject to break the recognition.  [Perhaps insert the words "refers to" between the site name and ticket number.]

Generally, this tag is to prevent mail loops, not to determine what the ticket number is.

>> To solve this, either grant permission, remove the ticket number (and
>> break the connection to the existing ticket), or reply to someone who
>
>Well it's hard to explain to requestors who barely understand what's a
>email why they need to change the subject. Especially juste the #[0-9]*

Tell them that if they don't remove the number, then the response is automatically routed to the old closed ticket where no action will occur.  Sometimes users are hard to train.  :-)

>> has access so that they can forward to RT.
>
>Yes I know that. The point is I through when I forward a message (meaning
>NO X-RT header) RT will know it's not a answer for some old ticket and
>automatically ignore the subject.

If you want the message to create a new ticket, then you need to change the detection of a ticket number in the subject to only occur if you also have the X tag.  Which will break regular replies to the ticket when they are forwarded instead of replied to.  Another policy is to route any reply to a ticket that is more than 30 days (or whatever) past the date of ticket closure goes to a special queue as a new ticket, where it can be manually determined if it should reactivate the closed ticket or make a new one.  Again, that requires modifying RT code.

/jeff
The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or
legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not
constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in
error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward,
or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail
and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com