[rt-users] Unique custom fields for assets

Kyle Dippery kyle.dippery at uky.edu
Mon Mar 14 09:34:24 EDT 2016

Kenny,

I haven't looked at RT 4.4 yet, so perhaps it's built in there, but it
wasn't in RT 4.2.

What you will need to do, if it isn't there already, is create your own
extension to the Asset.pm module, call it Asset_Local.pm, and add code
there to check for uniqueness and auto-populate the field. The Create {}
subroutine is the one you'll most likely want to override.

One gotcha that I remember (I did this about a year ago) is that I
needed to know the number of the custom field; I couldn't figure out how
to search the $args{} array for the field by name.  That being our most
critical custom field, though, it made sense to create it first so it
would be "CustomField-1".

I'm reluctant to post my actual code, because it's crappy and I don't
want to release bad code into the wild, but if you'd like to see it I
can sanitize it some and share it.

Cheers,
Kyle

--