[rt-users] possibly OT: RT's FCGI server randomly fails, no log

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Tue Oct 11 12:55:13 EDT 2016

Hello list,
This may be off-topic, but I'm serving RT with Nginx and FCGI. Randomly, it
seems, the FCGI server is failing. Nginx works, but users see "error 502:
bad gateway". I see the same in the logs, with connect() failing. All I
have to do is run the spawn-fcgi command to get things back.

Why this is happening, with some frequency, is the question. My Nginx, RT,
and system logs all show nothing, and to my knowledge, there are no FCGI
logs at all. The first error for today in Nginx is when a client failed to
connect after the server went down; there's nothing that says what the
actual problem was. This happened Saturday, then again today.

The server has the latest updates for Debian 8.6, and has 4GB of ram. It's
serving a few dozen users at most, so the load can't be the problem. I'm
using Nginx 1.6.2 with four workers and 768 threads per worker. Users see
nothing unusual before this happens, just a 502 instead of the page they
expected.

If anyone else is using Nginx and has ever seen this, I'd love some input.
As this could be considered off topic, feel free to respond directly to
ahall at autodist.com. If I need to provide more details, please let me know.
Thank you.

--
Alex Hall