[rt-users] clarification on callbacks

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Tue Oct 11 16:27:39 EDT 2016

Hello list,
I'm considering trying out a callback. Ken suggested it as a way to add a
link to pages that will let users toggle between self-service and standard
interfaces, and I'm very much hoping I can use it to customize the way
history displays on ticket summary pages.

>From what I've read so far, it seems like a callback is analogous to a
subclass. If I have a 'renderer' class that can make pretty text from raw
HTML, I might then subclass it and override the function that parses text
to make it work on XML. Yes, it's a very terrible example, but hopefully
the idea is correct.

Anyway, a callback in RT seems a lot like that. I want the ticket page to
display how it already does, but I don't like the history part. Thus, I
copy the file to the proper callback directory, then modify it. RT will,
when it knows it has to use Display.html, look in callbacks first and use
my version. Only if I don't provide one will it use the default one in
share/html/Tickets.

Do I have this right--copy the existing file to callbacks and modify it? Or
do I make a blank file, override only the bits I want to in there, and not
copy the whole thing? Am I thinking about callbacks all wrong?

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com