[rt-users] rt-setup-fulltext-index dropped DB connections with MySQL

James Zuelow James.Zuelow at juneau.org
Thu Oct 13 16:32:36 EDT 2016

I'm having trouble setting up the fulltext index on a Debian installation.  Admittedly this is a Wheezy installation, not Jessie as we wanted to track a newer version of rt4, so some things may be broken.  Hopefully the freeze comes soon though.

Package versions at the moment are MySQL 5.6.30, Perl 5.2.22, and request-tracker 4.2.13.  There is a Perl 5.4 upgrade available, but that breaks my rt4 installation.

Anyway, here's what I see:

##########

root at mis-rt-lnx:/usr/sbin# ./rt-setup-fulltext-index --dba rtuser --dba-password secret

MySQL 5.6 and above support native full-text indexing; for compatibility

with earlier versions of RT, the external Sphinx indexer is still

supported.

Which indexing solution would you prefer?

[mysql]: mysql

Enter the name of a new MySQL table that will be used to store the

full-text content and indexes:

[AttachmentsIndex]: AttachmentsIndex

Going to run the following in the DB:

     CREATE TABLE AttachmentsIndex ( id INT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT NOT

NULL PRIMARY KEY,Content LONGTEXT ) ENGINE=InnoDB CHARACTER SET utf8

Indexing existing data...

Going to run the following in the DB:

     CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX AttachmentsIndex ON AttachmentsIndex(Content)

[58876] [Thu Oct 13 02:23:42 2016] [warning]: DBD::mysql::db do failed:

Lost connection to MySQL server during query at

./rt-setup-fulltext-index line 736, <STDIN> line 2.

(./rt-setup-fulltext-index:736)

[58876] [Thu Oct 13 02:23:42 2016] [critical]: DBD::mysql::db do failed:

Lost connection to MySQL server during query at

./rt-setup-fulltext-index line 736, <STDIN> line 2.

(/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT.pm:389)

DBD::mysql::db do failed: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

at ./rt-setup-fulltext-index line 736, <STDIN> line 2.

##########

The "Lost connection to MySQL" error often occurs when a child kills the database connection for the parent, so I've tried different permutations of InactiveDestroy in the script itself, for example adding the third line below:

my $dbh = $RT::Handle->dbh;

$dbh->{'RaiseError'} = 1;

$dbh->{'PrintError'} = 1;

$dbh->{'InactiveDestroy'} = 1;  ##THIS LINE ADDED TO SCRIPT##

But I'm unable to find a magic fix this way.  I've also tried running the script as the MySQL root user without success.

This appears to be a slightly different issue than what I see in the archives.

Has anyone else seen this or can point me in the right direction to chase down the lost connections?

Thanks!

James