[rt-users] Best web server for RT4?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:36:00 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 01:23:23PM -0400, Alex Hall wrote:
> Hey all,
> I think it's pretty clear by now that no one on this list uses Nginx (my
> server of choice). So, I guess I'll try to use Apache instead, using the
> official setup page:
> https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/4.4.1/web_deployment.html
>
> I'm using 4.2.8, but it's the same thing for hosting, I hope. Anyway, the
> Nginx section of the above page looked very simple--a configuration, a
> restart of Nginx, a spawn-fcgi, and you're done. Worse are all the warnings
> in each subsection of the Apache section. I'm not good enough with Linux to
> fully grasp what it is they're warning me about, but when Apache, then each
> subsection of Apache, has caveats and notes, while Nginx has none, I
> thought I'd take the safer road. If Nginx isn't an option, though, which
> method for Apache should I use to host the FCGI that RT needs in order to
> work? Is there a different RT setup/serving page that explains things
> differently? Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Alex Hall
> Automatic Distributors, IT department
> ahall at autodist.com

Hi Alex,

We use nginx+spawn-fcgi with RT here and it works very well. I think you
will need to test each piece of your setup before moving to the next. i.e.
Does the standalone server run? Then try it with fcgi. You should also
check your RT logs, because if the backend exits, then their will be nothing
to talk to.

Regards,
Ken