[rt-users] Assets RT 4.4.0

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:06:06 EST 2017

On 27 January 2017 at 08:59, Dunbar, Brian <Brian.Dunbar at von.ca> wrote:

> When I set the owner. I could not set the Company it would only let me pick
> a domain account

This is a "glass half empty" solution but it might be of some use.

Create a User  to represent "the Company"

Only fill in the username and Real Name fields

Eg

Username   acme-ltd
Real name  Acme Ltd

(An alternative for the Username of a "Company as User" is to use its
 FQDN, so acme.ltd)

then make that "Company as User" Username the Owner of the Asset

The "Real Name" should be visible in the Owner field on an Asset display
page, and the link underneath it will take you to the User Summary page
from where, selecting Edit, allows you to see the username, which is the
thing you will probably need to see.

When you come to search, be aware that, as the Assets search code
stands,

it won't autocomplete as you type, say,

a c m e - l t d

nor does it appear to handle wildcards, eg,

acme%

and nor does it appear to allow a search by "Real Name"

but,

if you can recall what the username is (so choose a scheme that is
easy to recall !), typing it in in full should give you a string in the
Owner field of the Search page that wil list all assets owned by
that "Company as User"

As I suggest, it's not exactly what you want, but part of the way there
and, more importantly, as the Assets code develops so as to allow
for better searches, your RT structure should be close to what you
want, ie., a Company "thing" in the Owner.field.