[Shipwright] Building perl in vessels with 'perl' in their names

David Good dgood at willingminds.com
Fri Jun 15 18:06:33 EDT 2012

I've found an interesting bug(?) with Shipwright.  If you build a vessel
containing a perl installation using an --install-base directory
containing the string 'perl', Configure will, by default, install all of
its core modules under './lib' rather than './lib/perl5'.

I guess the authors of Configure decided that if your prefix already
includes 'perl' it would be redundant to put things under a 'perl5'
subdirectory.  Unfortunately, the Shipwright wrapper scripts and shell
source files assume that everything is under './lib/perl5'.  Since my
RPM package is going to have a name that includes 'perl', I'm pretty
much guaranteed that Configure will see it in my prefix setting.

The easy fix for it is to add -Dinstallstyle='lib/perl5' to the
Configure commandline in the perl build script:

    configure: sh Configure -de -Dprefix=%%INSTALL_BASE%%
    -Dinstallstyle='lib/perl5'
    make: %%MAKE%%
    install: %%MAKE%% install
    clean: %%MAKE%% clean