[svk-devel] svk merge: "Revision spec must be N:M."

Aaron VonderHaar gruen0aermel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 19:53:30 EST 2006

I am trying to use the "svk merge" command and I don't understand why I
get the error "Revision spec must be N:M"

If I run the following I get what I expect for diff and log, so I don't
understand why the same syntax doesn't work for "merge"

$ svk log -r 643@:655@ //mirrors/repo/branches/dev2
## ... expected log output ...
$ svk diff -r 643@:655@ //mirrors/repo/branches/dev2
## ... expected diff output ...
$ svk merge -r 643@:655@  //mirrors/repo/branches/dev2
//mirrors/repo/branches/dev1-merge
Revision spec must be N:M.

My setup is basically this:
$ svk cp //mirrors/repo/trunk //mirrors/repo/branches/dev2
$ svk smerge -Il //mirrors/dev2-repo/trunk //mirrors/repo/branches/dev2
$ svk cp //mirrors/repo/trunk //mirrors/repo/branches/dev1-merge

I want to merge a range of dev2's changes into the dev1-merge branch
(and eventually merge that branch into the trunk), but I am stuck on
this "svk merge" syntax".

Thanks for any help explaining to me what this "Revision spec must be
N:M." error means.

--Aaron V.