svk pull explained (was: Re: [svk-devel] 2.0-pre "svk pull" tries to merge back to mirror source?)

Michael Brouwer mb.7766 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:09:11 EDT 2006

Actually svk pull noticed there was a branch to merge from and did just
that. "...gnucache//branches/swig-redo" is a branch of "../gnucache/trunk",
so svk pull will bring the swig-redo branch up to date with changes made in
trunk since the last copy or smerge from trunk to this branch, and then
update your working copy.

If you don't want to pull in the latest changes from trunk to a branch, use
svk update --sync (or svk up -s for short) instead. This will sync your
mirror and update your wc, but not merge changes to the branch from it's
copy-from source.

Note this is not svk2 specific this is just how svk pull has always worked.

What it sounds like you are asking for is a version of svk pull that behaves
like svk update --sync unless the branch you are pulling to is a local
branch.  There isn't currently any precedent for svk command to work
differently on remote v.s. local branches, but if you can show why this is
needed and suggest a new command line syntax for it perhaps it can be added.

Michael