[svk-devel] Re: 2.0-pre "svk pull" tries to merge back to mirror source?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Oct 11 13:44:26 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:05:31PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
 [...]
> This is where I see the difference..  I don't think of 'push/pull'
> as handy wrappers around smerge. I don't consider it syntactic
> sugar.  I consider them specific operations around mirrors.
>
> Maybe I'm alone in that view, or maybe I'm in the minority.  Perhaps
> it's because I've used Teamware and Bitkeeper and that's what
> push/pull means in those contexts.

You aren't alone; I've managed to snafu myself (and an important
repository) more than once by running an "svk pull" under the wrong
directory.  See, I'm not always smart enough to remember which working
copies are checked out from /mirror and which are checked out from
/local , and to avoid feeling really dumb, I'd like to imagine I'm not
the only one with this problem.

I am agnostic as to what push and pull *should* mean -- but I would
very much like a "sync, maybe-smerge, update" command that gleefully
smerges local branches, but not branches on the remote repository.
I don't really care what it's named, but without one, I'll continue to
shoot myself in the foot.

yrs,
--
Nick "Uh-oh.  How come my stable branch has the same contents as
  the trunk?"  Mathewson