[svk-devel] SVK and cherry picking

Guillon Christophe guillonc at free.fr
Thu Sep 7 20:44:51 EDT 2006

    Hello,

I'm wondering what it the level of support for cherry picking in SVK.
In particular my questions are:
- 'svk cmerge' seems to handle this but I'm surprised is is documented as deprecated (due to a subersion API?!?),
  - is it a limitation of the merge algorithm?
  - is there any hope that  it is resurected?
  - what is the current effect (1.08 version) of removing the "deprecated" message in Cmerge.pm and leting the merge run?
- are there any known alternative to a "tracked" cherry picking?

When I say "tracked" cherry picking, I mean the following requierements, which seems originally handled by cmerge,
correct me if I'm wrong:
- effect of a diff followed by a  patch in the target branch (the cherry picking),
- generation of a ticket such that at least the user have the information of what change is present in the target branch
("tracked"),

Optionally, but there I'm not sure the merge algorithm support it:
- avoid if possible conflict on a subsequent star-merge to the same target branch that will bring again the changes,
- or, conservatively conflicts if there is any doubt (i.e. avoid silent wrong resolution)..

        Regards,
        -- C.Guillon