[svk-devel] Re: Mercurial (and NOT svk) chosen as Distributed SCM for OpenSolaris... Do we "Know" the reasons for rejection?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Sep 20 12:20:35 EDT 2006

Pazu wrote:
> Reading the report for other tools, the fact that SVK is written in perl seems
> to be a drawback for them. One of the requirements is "implementation
> expertise", and the use of perl was criticized e.g. in the GIT report, and
> although hg is written in python, the evaluator said "at least it's not perl".

It also seems like they were biased towards something that acted much
more like TeamWare (the former internal package).  I read through some
of the SCM list (focusing on the mentions of SVK) and it seemed like
they were not happy with the speed of SVK (though they didn't bother to
learn that there are ways to improve that performance) and the number of
dependencies involved.

John

--
John Peacock