[svk-devel] Help using svk in a staging development environment.

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Apr 4 11:55:58 EDT 2007

Brice Figureau wrote:
> Does it make sense if we setup a release branch in the SVN repository
> that is svk locally sync'ed, and then developpers "svk push" to this
> branch when they want changes to be applied ?

See SVN::Notify::Mirror (and probably SVN::Notify::Config) for one way to
scratch this particular itch.  I use it like this:

1) All development happens on trunk, which is automatically updated to the test
server on every commit;

2) Creating a tag with a preapproved name (RELEASE-YYYYMMDDSEQ) gets
automatically promoted to production (via switch).

I'm not sure how you are planning on having the developers use SVK (local to
their machine) and still have their changes flow to the test server (either
automatically or programmatically).  I love SVK, but for this particular
purpose, I can't see any point in using it.

For example, one of our websites is currently undergoing a complete overhaul and
redesign.  The test server was moved over to the new branch and the developer
who is working on it works on the branch directly (in SVN); any commit to the
branch is automatically mirrored to the test server.  The production server is
still using the production tags, however, so minor changes can be made by
another web developer to trunk and a new tag cut (which directly updated
production).  When the redesign is completed, I'll simply merge the branch back
into trunk and restore the original mapping.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock