[svk-devel] Help using svk in a staging development environment.

Brice Figureau brice+svk at daysofwonder.com
Wed Apr 4 12:05:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 08:15 -0700, Michael Brouwer wrote:
> Alway mirror the root of the repository with svk.  That way all
> branches you make in svk can be either local (outside the mirror) or
> shared (inside the mirror), plus you have access to all tags and
> branches everywhere.  Other than that there is no right or wrong way
> to use branches.  It's really your own choice.

Hi Michael,

Thanks. it makes sense.

I thought a little bit more on this, but I still don't exactly see how I
can "push" changes from a developpement local branch to let's say the
release branch since my local developpement branch is not a children of
the release branch but a children of the trunk.

For instance, I have in my depot:

//remote/www -> svn+ssh://<removed to protect the innocent>/www

//local/devel is a copy of //remote/www/trunk
//local/release is a copy of //remote/www/branches/release

Then I have a local working copy for //local/devl where I'm coding and
committing my changes. Other developpers do the same in their local
working copies. When they think the changes are mature, they commit
(push) those changes to  //remote/www/trunk.

Now I have to release the website, so I have to merge the changes from
the last known trunk to the release branch.

I can't do: svk push //local/devel since it will push the changes to the
trunk which has already been done.

I suppose I have to do:
svk smerge //local/devel //remote/www/branches/release

is it the right thing to do ?

What happens if there are conflicts ?
How do I resolve them ?

I'm sorry for those newbie questions, I'm still discovering SVK.
It seems to be a really powerful tool, and the more I see about it, the
more I like it :-)
--
Brice Figureau <brice+svk at daysofwonder.com>