[svk-devel] Help using svk in a staging development environment.

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Apr 4 23:16:20 EDT 2007

Brice Figureau wrote:
> Do you mean the following:
> You have a production working copy of your trunk on which you are just
> doing:
> svn switch path/to/svn/repositories/tags/RELEASE-YYYYMMDDSEQ
>
> to bring it up to date ?
> If that's it, it's clever and interesting.

Yes.  Using SVN::Notify::Config, I can have a regex match any repository path
and fire only that update.  In this case, the regex is 'tags/RELEASE-' and it
fires the appropriate switch.  Note also that SVN::Notify::Mirror can perform
updates via 'switch' directly if the repository and the server are the same box,
or by SSH or rsync if the server and repository are on different boxes.

> And if I understand how is working your setup, someone is responsible to
> add the tag RELEASE-* whenever it is necessary to update the production,
> right ?

Anyone can promote the current trunk to the production server by cutting the
appropriate tag.  For that matter, someone could tag a branch with a name
matching the regex and *that* would become the new production fileset.  In our
case, we may abandon this mode, since most of the websites are mature and only
need minor tweaks (which would mean that the tag method is kind of overkill).  I
have a fairly tricky Mason application where the tag method was more useful
(since I did a lot of changes between production releases).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group