[svk-devel] More memory than you can throw an svk-delete at...

Chisel Wright chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 06:12:05 EDT 2007

Some time ago I mentioned that I've been having trouble with (some) svk
updates using svk2.

It appears to be occurring when large(ish) branches are deleted [by
other users] then a sync and update is performed locally.

Up until now I've not been able to replicate this problem reliably.

Yesterday I switched on my brain and composed a scenario that actually
appears to reproduce the problem.

I've attached a shell script that'll create a test svn repository and
manipulate it to get to a point where we can "svk up" and watch the box
we're using descend into swap hell.
It's all self-contained, and the only svk pollution you'll see is the
new mirror location //mirror/svk_delete.

It's quite useful to have something like "while (true); do free -o >>
/tmp/free.log; sleep 5; done" running to capture the memory usage
details for later investigation.

This morning I killed a box with 1GB RAM + 1.5GB swap.

I've just checked on a cow-orker's machine and this swap-hungry-delete
behaviour DOES NOT occur on v1.08.

Chisel
--
Chisel Wright
e: chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
w: http://www.herlpacker.co.uk/

  Sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose.